29 Days – $29 Donations – $10,000 Fundraising Goal
Honour the legacy of fallen Calgary Police Service Const. John Petropoulos by taking The 29-Day Challenge.
WHAT IS THE 29-DAY CHALLENGE?
The second annual 29-Day Challenge is a fundraising campaign in support of the John Petropoulos Memorial Fund (JPMF). It kicks off during the Labour Day weekend on Sunday, Sept. 1st, 2013, lasts 29 days and encourages people to donate $29 to the JPMF. The fundraising goal is $10,000.
WHERE DOES YOUR $29 DONATION GO?
Each $29 donation will go directly towards paying for professional speakers to deliver a one-hour safety presentation to a company, organization, association, school, conference, trade show or community event. Over the last year, we have delivered 50 presentations and directly reached over 1,500 people with our safety messages.
If you’d like to know exactly which presentation your donation is supporting, we will let you know. We can let you know which group is hearing the safety presentation, what day it’s happening and where it’s happening – and you can take pride in knowing that you helped make conditions safer for first responders and workers across Alberta.
The ultimate goal is to raise $10,000 for our Safety Presentation Program, which delivers safety messages across the province. These presentations make an impact and result in safer workplaces for everyone, including emergency responders.
Const. John Petropoulos passed away in the line of duty on Sept. 29th, 2000 while searching an unsafe workplace for a break-and-enter suspect. The 13th anniversary of his death coincides with the last day of the fundraising campaign and Alberta Police and Peace Officers Memorial Day.
HOW CAN YOU MAKE A DONATION?
That’s easy! Just go to CanadaHelps and type in “JPMF” for the charity – then make a one-time $29 donation. If you’d like us to provide you with information about which safety presentation you’re supporting, be sure to include your contact information and a message saying you want to find out more about the progress of your contribution.
If you don’t want to donate online, you can learn more about your donation options on our website. Or you can mail a cheque – made out to the “John Petropoulos Memorial Fund” – to #347, 440 – 10816 Macleod Trail SE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2J 5N8.
ARE THERE OTHER GOALS INVOLVED IN THE FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGN?
Yes, there are several 29-themed goals that are part of the campaign, including:
– Urging people to email/text 29 friends about The 29-Day Challenge
– Having 29 people “share” details of the campaign on Facebook
– Reaching 290 “Likes” on Facebook
– Gaining 29 more followers on Twitter
– Seeing 29 Twitter followers retweet details of the campaing
– Using the hashtag #29daychallenge on Twitter and Facebook 29 times
– Booking 29 safety presentations over the course of the campaign
– Giving away 29 copies of our Put Yourself in Our Boots DVDs during the challenge
– Reaching 29 followers on LinkedIn
– Adding 29 subscribers to our YouTube channel
– Gaining 290 video views on our YouTube channel during the course of the campaign
– Attracting 29 new volunteers during the campaign
– Hearing back from 29 first responders about the impact of our work
The ultimate goal of raising $10,000 means we need 345 individual donations of $29 by Sept. 29th. So, please, help us out. Take The 29-Day Challenge and after you make a $29 donation, let 29 others know to do the same. And, as much as the campaign is geared towards individual donations, we welcome corporate support as well. Talk to your employer and see if your company will consider matching your contribution. Help protect those who protect you!